CENTER FOR PUBLIC INTEGRITY
POSITION: Chief Development Officer
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
SUBORDINATES: Development Staff
The Center for Public Integrity http://www.publicintegrity.org one of the leading nonprofit, investigative journalism organizations in the United States, is seeking a dynamic individual to lead its fundraising efforts.
The Center employs a team of more than 35 editors, reporters, digital publishing experts and other staff committed to the highest standards of journalism and digital storytelling in the service of democracy.
Since 1989, the Center has used the tools of journalism to reveal corruption, abuses of power, betrayal of the public trust and other wrongdoing by government officials and corporations. In 2014 and 2017, the Center was awarded The Pulitzer Prize.
The Center’s revenue is driven by a stable group of longtime foundation funders and extraordinary individuals. As a matter of principle, the Center does not accept corporate or government funding.
Summary of the Chief Development role
The Chief Development Officer works closely with the Chief Executive Officer and a team of development professionals. A member of the leadership team, this person plays a major role internally and in the industry. This is a high-profile position and offers great opportunity for personal and career development.
The Center is looking for an experienced fundraiser with a record of success with foundation funders, major and individual donors. An understanding of and passion for the impact of journalism is critical.
- Lead annual and long-term fundraising efforts across all categories, including the Center’s new membership program.
- Create a pipeline of new foundation and leadership donors while maintaining support from individuals.
- Innovate in online fundraising and events, while working closely with the Center’s audience engagement editor and digital team to build the Center’s brand.
- Define and execute the Center’s overarching fundraising strategy.
- Work with journalists and editors to create proposals for compelling projects that map to the interests of stakeholders while preserving journalistic integrity.
- Work closely with the board chairman and board development committee to assist them in meeting fundraising goals.
Qualifications and skills desired
Strong and sustained experience in fundraising, with an emphasis on foundation and leadership giving. Experience and knowledge of the media industry a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of fundraising experience in progressively senior roles.
- Experience leading diverse and effective teams.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills.
- Ability to engage with people at the highest level across professions.
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines.
- Strong budgeting and budget oversight skills necessary.
- Significant domestic travel is required.
The Center for Public Integrity
- The Center is a fast-paced environment with six broad editorial areas: Politics (State and Federal), Finance & Technology, Environment, Workers’ Rights, National Security, and Immigration.
- Multiple projects are underway at once with overlapping deadlines.
- Diversity is a given and a key goal of the Center.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send applications, referrals and inquires in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org