The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a talented text editor to work at its West Region publishing center in Phoenix, Arizona, as a temporary newsperson for 36 weeks.
Reporting to the Deputy News Director, this editor will focus on editing coverage of state government and politics from a 13-state region, from Colorado to California, north to Alaska and west to Hawaii. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic, 24/7 operation that works closely with news managers and journalists across the region to ensure AP content is accurate, fast, distinctive and packaged creatively for audiences around the world. Editors ensure that urgent news is published quickly, while keeping an eye toward developing the story throughout the news cycle and beyond. This editor also will be expected to create eye-catching social promotion, find and verify important user-generated content and use digital tools to present stories in unique ways. This newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- Work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP, with a strong focus on accountability journalism.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- Pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have some experience as a text editor, with a record of editing both spot news and enterprise stories. Applicants must be able to help reporters and producers explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways, guide reporters and news editors during the reporting, writing and presentation process, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. Applicants should ideally have some experience editing coverage of government and politics. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team, and should have some full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
Applicant Deadline: 01/21/18 @ 11:59 PM EST
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
To apply, please go to https://career8.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=associated&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=4170&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=gC9LSsF8yTiCTBJgXlNM4f54WqY%3d