The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a reporter to work as a breaking news staffer in its Boston bureau as a temporary newsperson for up to 32 weeks.
Reporting to the New England news editor, this reporter will aggressively pursue major breaking news and trending news as it’s developing in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. This journalist will closely monitor AP member news outlets, newsmakers and social media to identify stories of statewide, national and global interest in all three states and report, write and publish it compellingly, accurately and quickly. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, and must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- Work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- Pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have the ability to cover spot news from a remote location, including savvy use of social media an user-generated content. Applicants must be able to explain fast-moving stories in clear and compelling ways, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. The successful candidate will seek out and identify trending stories, photos and video of value to AP members and clients. This newsperson must be able to work effectively as a member of a team, and should have some experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
Application Deadline: 01/21/18 at 11:59 PM EST
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
To apply, please go to https://career8.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=associated&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=4164&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=gC9LSsF8yTiCTBJgXlNM4f54WqY%3d