We're looking for a computer-savvy grammar geek to join Slate's copy desk in either our D.C. or Brooklyn offices. This position would be full time, with benefits.
Slate's copy editors have two overarching roles: copy editing and proofing articles and blogs for correct style and grammar, and guiding content through the production process. The copy editor would work closely with writers, editors, the art team, and other copy editors to move content quickly and cleanly through the desk. Solid news judgment and the ability to multitask are essential to succeed in this position.
To apply, submit a résumé and a brief cover letter that includes a few sentences about your biggest grammar pet peeve as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 16.
Slate is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
· 13 years of experience in copy editing or web production
· Familiarity with AP Style and strong feelings about the Oxford comma
· Work well independently and with a team
· Proven communication skills
· Be adept at navigating the quirks of content management systems
· Basic HTML knowledge is a plus