ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a Senior Editor to help shape our site’s coverage as we work to hold the Trump administration accountable in a constantly changing media landscape. The Senior Editor will oversee a small team of beat reporters working on a range of feature stories, reported pieces, and essays, and should be particularly skilled at editing political analysis and commentary.
The Senior Editor will join a small management team that works together to run the newsroom on a day-to-day basis. In addition to assigning and editing stories, implementing policies, and hiring new staff, this team is responsible for strategic long-term decisions about the future of ThinkProgress coverage.
Ideal candidates will have an understanding of ThinkProgress’ mission and role in online media, a sharp eye for internet news, a thoughtful approach to leading a team, the editing skills to shape a compelling argument, and the self-motivation to experiment in a fast-paced industry.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Manage a team of reporters working across multiple beats.
- Work closely with writers to hone story ideas and develop new angles on major political stories.
- Edit multiple pieces a day — sometimes on tight deadlines.
- Work in consultation with the site’s leadership team to manage our newsroom policies, guide our coverage strategy, and define our editorial vision.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- The management skills to oversee a diverse team of reporters.
- Strong familiarity with both progressive policy and writing for the internet.
- An instinct for what makes a good story and how to craft a strong argument
- The big-picture editorial judgment to successfully advance ThinkProgress’ mission.
- The ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both to reporters and to a general audience.