The DC Bureau covers Washington news for Spectrum's Local News Division, which operates a network of cable news channels in New York, North Carolina and Texas. The channels include NY1 News, NY1 Noticias, Spectrum News in upstate New York, Spectrum News Carolina, and Spectrum News Austin. Our mission is to provide news coverage of local interest to those markets from Washington, DC with an emphasis on reporting national political stories with a local focus for our markets.
The Field Producer shoots, edits, writes, produces content for Spectrum News Washington DC Bureau. Reports directly to the Executive Producer of the SPECTRUM News Washington DC Bureau. Produces content for all Spectrum News channels as well as our website and includes stories, video, and other elements.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shoots, edits, conducts interviews, researches and writes stories for air
- Uses news judgment to decide what stories to cover
- Works closely with SPECTRUM News Washington DC Video Journalists
- Sets up live transmission
- Conceives stories to add to our programming.
- Writes and edits stories, teases, scripts, etc.
- Keeps informed on current political issues important in the SPECTRUM News markets by reading political blogs, newspapers, wires, monitoring SPECTRUM News wheels and reviewing packages.
- Edits VOS, SOT and packages.
- Reviews content of stories and checks for errors of fact, technical errors, creative content, miscues, editorial mistakes and all elements needed to deliver quality programming.
- Create show rundowns
- Other duties as assigned
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
Demonstrated experience in covering political news
Excellent writing skills and interpersonal skills.
Strong ability to work across multiple news environments.
Strong computer skills and willingness to work different shifts.
Proficiency in non-linear editing required.
Operate various office machines including computer and office software.
Thorough knowledge of operation and office policies and procedures.
Must have ability to handle various tasks simultaneously, organize, prioritize, make decisions and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
Must have valid driver's license with clean driving record.
Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience; Masters preferred
Related Work Experience
One year experience in an editorial newsroom position required. Experience in unit specialty preferred.
Strong contacts with political offices and politicians strongly preferred
Familiarity with the issues in the local markets of Spectrum News recommended
Normal office environment
Lifting and carrying up to 30 pounds.
More on Spectrum: Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Current Unemployment Status.