Managing Editor, Energy News Network
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Job overview and requirements
Are you ready for a leadership position in an innovative nonprofit newsroom? Do you want to be challenged at work, learn about our evolving energy system, be on the cutting edge of digital energy news, have a lot of fun, and make a significant impact? Fresh Energy is looking for a Managing Editor to manage the day-to-day operations of several Energy News Network (ENN) regional news services, including hiring and oversight of journalists, editing, and visual presentation.
Fresh Energy publishes an editorially independent network of news sites covering the transition to a clean energy economy. Staffed by a multistate team of freelance journalists, the Energy News Network provides daily aggregated reports and in-depth original journalism that increases public understanding of energy issues. Launched in 2010 as Midwest Energy News, we are now on the precipice of expanding our coverage to include news aggregation and original journalism in all 50 states.
As ENN grows, we need an experienced Managing Editor who can manage contributors and oversee story development, reporting, editing, and production. While Fresh Energy has already established a trusted reputation and loyal readership for several ENN regional digests, our hope is to add an amazing editor to our team who will partner with us to bring this work to the next level.
This position will be based at our office in St. Paul, Minnesota; telecommuting is not an option.
Director, Energy News Network
A. Develop original story ideas; field pitches from contributors, recruit, manage, and retain journalists/bloggers/content developers; assign and prioritize stories for coverage; and edit original stories, including overall presentation.
B. Oversee production of daily email digests, ensuring production deadlines are met.
C. Monitor analytics and audience feedback as well as broader media, journalism and communications trends to inform scope and direction of editorial initiatives.
D. Manage budget for freelance contributors and other program initiatives; prioritize budget allocations according to grant requirements and other factors.
E. Partner with the news director to monitor and identify current and new methods and platforms for information gathering, storytelling, and reaching a broader audience.
F. Partner with the news director and partnership coordinator to develop and execute distribution strategies for ENN content.
G. In collaboration with the news director, exercise initiative in work planning including the development and refinement of goals and targets to meet or exceed commitments to funders and by actively participating in evaluation processes.
H. Participate in a culture of fundraising, collaboration, and model core values of Fresh Energy, upholding the highest level of ethics in journalism products.
I. Other duties as assigned.
Our hiring process and timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will conduct short phone interviews during late October/early November and begin in-person one-hour interviews in early/mid-November.
- If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in December or January.
Fresh Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s degree plus five years of experience working with digital platforms in media relations, journalism, or a closely related field, including at least one year of supervisory experience
- Ability to exercise independent editorial judgment and uphold professional ethics
- Aptitude for understanding and communicating complex policy issues
- Understanding of WordPress or similar content management systems
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Basic ability to use Photoshop or similar image editing software
- Copyediting experience and working knowledge of AP style
- Experience writing headlines for digital media platforms and basic knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO)
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or similar platform
- Experience and familiarity with social media
- Detail and process oriented, with ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, ability to work independently
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in fast-paced environment
- Availability to work early morning hours and an occasional evening here or there
Compensation and benefits
- Starting salary range of $62,000 to $72,000 based on experience
- Full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked
- 24 days of PTO (increases each year of employment), 14 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule
- We provide medical and dental plans (ER pays 90% for EE & 20% for spouse/dependents), additional voluntary vision, short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D insurance, and five percent of annual salary contribution to 403(b) retirement plan after one year. In addition, we incentivize transit, biking, and walking, offering a dollar for dollar bus pass match, a free annual NiceRide subscription, $1 for each trip to and from work by bike or walk, and an indoor bike storage area and showers
- Relocation stipend available
E-mail cover letter and resume to Jillian Theuer at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.