Reports to: Data Editor
The Center for Public Integrity is seeking a newsroom developer to build interactive news graphics, tools and apps. The ideal candidate will have a solid grasp of web development, possess a strong sense of design and be a creative troubleshooter.
The developer will join a small team of data journalists and technologists who work with experienced investigative journalists in our newsroom. The developer will help empower reporters with infrastructure and tools, and will construct visual and interactive projects for publication.
This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys a congenial workplace, a compelling mission and a setting filled with ideas, personalities and journalism.
The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds. People of color, women, LGBTQ and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Collaborate with a small team of technologists and data journalists;
- Design and develop interactive and visual journalism – including news graphics, interactive projects and apps;
- Work with investigative reporters to build infrastructure and tools that add value to their work.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Grounding in current best practices in user experience, digital design and web development.
- Experience working with Git repositories.
- Experience in both analyzing and visualizing datasets.
- An understanding of how to explain complex information visually.
- Experience with responsive design techniques.
- Graphics experience or a strong design sense.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects under stringent time frames.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Curiosity, ability to learn quickly and solve problems creatively.
- Strong interest in the news and passion for investigative reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree, higher, or equivalent experience.
Conditions: Non-supervisory position.
Email email@example.com with a resume and brief introduction. Please put the job title in the subject line. Be sure to include links to examples of your work, your portfolio or a GitHub profile.