Newsweek is looking for an ambitious, energetic, creative and digitally-savvy news junkie who is excited to find interesting op-eds and make contact with world leaders across multiple fields to help lead our opinion coverage as Deputy Opinion Editor. This editor follows U.S. and international news developments every second of the day, and is always looking to help Newsweek stand out with provocative, timely, original and unique op-eds gathered from across the web and from influencers in various industries. The ideal candidate must be a voracious reader and an avid social media user. She or he has at least three years of newsroom experience editing and/or writing breaking
news, politics, analysis or commentary.
- Identifying the biggest news stories of the day or budding news trends, and helping to shape strategy for Newsweek’s opinion coverage.
- Building and maintaining a strong network of contacts to find and arrange opinion stories on deadline.
- Using best SEO practices to grow audience for Newsweek’s opinion coverage.
- Working across verticals with editors and reporters to improve copy,
- story ideas and headlines for opinion coverage.
- Editing stories for the Newsweek website.
- Ensuring online content meets Newsweek’s editorial standards.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and any relevant
writing samples to email@example.com and
This position is based in New York City and
reports to the News Director.