Summary: OPB is hiring an Executive Editor to oversee content creation on science and environmental topics. This salaried, exempt position is a full time, regular status position with benefits.
Establish the editorial mission and priorities of OPB’s science/environment team. Oversee the development of local/regional content on science and environmental topics, directly supervise the EarthFix editor and serve as Oregon Field Guide executive producer. Coordinate story planning and resource allocation across the team and across platforms (digital, TV and radio). Note: this position will not directly produce program content in the field.
Most work is done in an office, studio or other indoor location. Some travel in-state and nationally may be necessary. Moving equipment up to 30 lbs. may be required. Extended periods of working at a computer and using a phone may be necessary. Work schedule may include early mornings, evenings and weekends and involve travel in inclement weather.
Minimum Position Required Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attitudes):
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, environmental science or related field or relevant experience.
- 10 years’ experience in journalism production, with at least 3 years’ experience at a senior newsroom or production level.
- Knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities associated with reporting on scientific topics.
- Demonstrated ability to set and maintain an editorial agenda as a unit leader.
- Demonstrated ability to lead groups to new ways of collaborative working.
- Demonstrated ability to help producers, reporters and editors create compelling, creative, and journalistically important work.
- Demonstrated broadcast writing and production skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and enforce deadlines.
- Exceptional time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate programs, stories, and social media plans around newsworthy topics in ways consistent with public media standards and style.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage budgets.
- Familiarity with and ability to participate in social media.
- Supervisory experience.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB and for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
- Significant experience in covering science and/or environmental topics at a specialized or national publication or outlet.
- Project management experience, especially in administration of grant-funded projects.
- Ability to watch the media trends and create new ways of working to adapt to the changing media environment.
- Journalismnext is working with OPB to help identify candidates for this Executive Editor for Science and Environment position. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are intested. Please include your resume.