Reports to: Senior Editor
Department: Communications – ThinkProgress
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for an Associate Editor to help guide our growing team of policy reporters. This position will work directly with the team’s Senior Editor and reporters assigning stories, working on pitches, writing stories, setting deadlines, copy editing, and crafting headlines. The ideal candidate will have a strong news sensibility and the ability to clearly distill complex policy issues for a general audience.
- Pitch, report, write, and edit news stories for ThinkProgress.org
- Assist the Senior Editor in fielding pitches and making edits to stories on varied policy beats including criminal justice, education, economy, health, immigration, and world news
- Help monitor news and assign stories to reporters
- Help the Senior Editor and the Editor-in-Chief develop newsroom policies and plans for more ambitious coverage.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- At least two years of professional experience working in news-writing
- Strong writing, editing, and fact-checking skills; journalistic and ethical judgement; attention to detail and care for factual accuracy
- An understanding of and passion for progressive policy and politics and how they intersect with the news
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Are familiar with progressive issues in criminal justice, economy, education, health, and/or immigration policy
- Feel a sense of satisfaction in helping another writer get their story published
- Follow the news closely
- Pitch great stories, and know how to take a story idea from good to great
- Excel when working with a team
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to manage their own time, stay organized, or remain focused on one thing at a time
- Need an editor to feed them ideas
- Are unsure if journalism is the right career for them
- Gloss over details or glaze over when processing a litany of facts
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Adrienne Mahsa Varkiani at email@example.com. Please reference the title of the job in the subject line. No phone calls, please.