Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Miami, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Associate Editor position is responsible for shaping and editing content produced primarily by the Communications department staff and contractors, including a quarterly print magazine, blog, online features, and email newsletters. The associate editor will be a key member of the editorial team working to refine, communicate, and execute the organization’s content strategy. The role will also include some writing opportunities.
· Serve as lead editor for Earthjustice’s blog. Specific duties include: deciding on pitches with the managing editor; shaping ideas with writers before they file; editing of blog posts for message clarity, tone and style based on the target audience and strategic goals; editing headlines, captions and credits; and helping the blog publisher choose complementary content, such as photos and maps.
· Refine our blog strategy for covering Earthjustice’s advocacy campaigns, as well as breaking news that connects to our work; participate in brainstorms with the Communications team on the most effective ways to tell particular stories.
· Editing of Earthjustice Quarterly Magazine. Duties may include: leading the magazine fact-checking process, editing magazine articles; editing captions, credits, table of contents and cover text; working with the online team to adapt and publish print articles to the web; and other duties as needed.
· Shape longer-form online explainers and features through planning sessions and early-stage edits.
· Actively contribute to editorial meetings and content postmortems, as well as trainings on editorial-related topics.
· Work with senior level attorneys, program staff and the managing editor in updating and editing content on Earthjustice’s website.
· Manage Earthjustice’s fact-checking program, which includes developing training materials; recruiting and training freelance and in-house fact-checkers; managing fact-checking workflow; verifying all final fact-checked content. (10%)
· Perform administrative duties, such as web publishing and workflow updating as needed.
· Serve as contributor to Earthjustice’s print and electronic publications, such as the magazine, blog and website. The focus will be on time-sensitive online content, but there also will be opportunity to write for the magazine’s front-of-the-book and back-of-the-book sections.
· Create campaign- and media-related content with our campaigners and press secretaries, as needed.
· BA, preferably in Communications, Journalism, English or related field.
· Five plus years of professional experience in online or print content production desired; background and/or interest in environmental or social justice issues a plus.
· Critical thinker, highly competent at understanding, distilling, and effectively communicating complex issues to a lay audience.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the confidence to interact effectively with all levels of management and staff. Must be able to deftly explain edits and receive editing.
· Excellent writer and editor with strong copy- and line-editing skills and broad knowledge of AP style.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple writing assignments and move expeditiously to meet publication deadlines with minimal supervisory oversight.
· Take joy in the written word to create engaging headlines, apt phrases, and memorable storytelling.
· Strong collaborator, able to pitch ideas and provide regular project updates to cross-functional peers.
· Proven willingness to seek appropriate direction and guidance from supervisors when needed.
· Experience with Microsoft Office, such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Basic HTML skills a plus.
· Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
· Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and links to three published pieces of writing that you either wrote or edited. Submit online via the Jobvite system.
Click here to apply.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.