ProPublica is looking for a sharp-eyed, detail-oriented web producer with copy editing experience to supplement our New York newsroom on a temporary freelance basis.
Your work will encompass copy editing and production tasks, working in tandem with reporters, editors and other designers and developers to put together story packages that are both exemplary pieces of journalism and forward-thinking in terms of design and execution. This includes reading stories with an eye for grammar, usage and house style, as well as producing and publishing them in our CMS.
ProPublica’s Design & Production team values inclusive, user-focused design, a mobile-first approach and documentation. We do not adhere to the idea of service desks or assembly lines.
A typical day at ProPublica might find you:
- Coordinating with editors and reporters to keep the story schedule on track and up to date
- Formatting and posting the latest articles via our CMS
- Making photo and art selections to accompany stories we publish
- Coordinating schedules with photographers and illustrators we commission
- Editing HTML and CSS to implement basic story layouts and site features
- Copy editing stories before they publish, adhering to AP and house style
- Contributing to documentation, including our house style guide
The ideal applicant is highly organized and detail-oriented. She cares deeply about editorial content and making the best selections possible to support the material we report. This role often requires scheduling flexibility, as story publication times can range widely.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. Therefore, ProPublica is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
To apply, fill out this form. Be sure to include a link to your portfolio or work you feel is most relevant. Have questions? Email email@example.com.
Ability to write clean, effective HTML and CSS
Intermediate Photoshop or equivalent
Strong command of grammar and AP style