We are currently seeking a Senior Editor to work in our Content department at our headquarters in Seattle, WA.
You’ll join the Leafly News team as a senior editor, responsible for establishing and broadening Leafly’s coverage of cannabis-related politics and the cannabis industry in Canada. You’ll write and edit other writers, conceive story ideas and assign pieces to staff and freelance writers to completion. We’re looking for an editor who can embrace cannabis in Canada and establish a strong relationship between Canadian consumers and Leafly.
This position requires the skills of an experienced editor and journalist with a broad understanding of, and interest in, politics and the cannabis industry in Canada and the United States. Experience Leafly’s Senior Editor will work on our News Team within the Content Division, managed by Leafly’s Deputy Editor.
* Daily news assigning and editing. This requires the ability to recognize breaking stories, contact writers and sources quickly, and produce news stories that balance accuracy with deadline speed.
*Longer-term project management. The Senior Editor will conceive, assign, and manage special Canadian-themed weeks and projects in areas ranging from Cannabis 101 to Leafly Investigations.
* Produce and maintain Leafly’s foundational Canadian properties, including up-to-date guides to legalization in various provinces, a “Next Steps to Legalization” article, and other uniquely Canadian properties.
* A deep understanding of digital publishing best practices and emerging digital journalism techniques.
* The ability to observe and analyze political situations, and communicate both the actions and their meaning clearly and accurately to Leafly readers.
* Write occasional pieces of smart political analysis that add depth to our readers’ understanding of current political events.
* The ability to work with writers and other editors regarding the editing, revision, and improvement of copy. A certain amount of give-and-take regarding content, interpretation, and nuance is to be expected. But by and large the writer-editor relationship should be professional, respectful, and carried out with an assumption of good faith on the part of both parties.
* Create and share story ideas with immediate editors and other members of the creative team. The creation of story ideas is a basic part of any journalist’s job, and Leafly’s Senior Editor specializing in Canada should be on constant lookout for promising story ideas, and sharing them with others.
* Maintain a professional attendance record. Leafly’s work hours are 9am to 6pm. Members of the editorial team are allowed leeway within those hours, as the job often requires coverage of evening events, early morning East Coast phone interviews, etc. Writers are also encouraged to occasionally write off-site in order to focus a few hours on a longer article. But we expect our editorial team members to give the company the full value of a working day.
* Meet deadlines. Journalism operates in a highly perishable environment, and Leafly journalists are expected to meet reasonable deadlines. Missing them degrades the quality of the product Leafly offers its readers and clients.
* You will be based in Leafly’s Seattle headquarters office. A certain amount of travel to Canadian cities will be expected, to recruit writers and establish sources in Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, and other prominent cities. Therefore the legal ability to carry out cross-border travel is a requirement.
* Experience and knowledge of Canada is plus, but not a deal breaker. We are most concerned with finding an experienced, professional, energetic, high-achieving editor who’s excited about practicing pioneering journalism at Leafly.