The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, a national leader in sports journalism and communication, seeks to hire a sports television broadcast professional to serve on the faculty to teach and lead students in the production and direction of live multi-camera sports event coverage for web broadcast. The team is responsible for web broadcast of approximately 40 sporting events each fall and spring semester. This course will include both classroom instruction and field instruction/supervision. Some game coverage occurs on nights and weekends. Game productions appear on the Pac-12 Networks digital channels.
The Cronkite School offers majors in sports journalism at both the bachelor’s and master’s levels. The programs include a broad range of immersive professional experiences that reflect the school’s “teaching hospital” approach to education. These include faculty-supervised sports bureaus in Phoenix and Los Angeles, where students regularly produce content for commercial outlets that include The Arizona Republic, Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports West, Pac-12 Networks, mlb.com and more.
• Instructs students in a classroom environment on the various aspects of live multi-camera sports event coverage, including producing, directing, camera and play-by-play
• Leads students at game venues in the technical planning and engineering of live multi-camera event coverage for web broadcast, predominantly of athletic events that include basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, softball and gymnastics
• Schedules and directs student production team and on-air talent
• Responsible for scheduling and set-up of equipment, including TriCaster, HD cameras and Audio mixer
• Ensures high production standards and quality control on live production
• Some evening and weekend work required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Understanding of engineering multi-camera event coverage for web broadcast
• Understanding of maintenance, usage and design of specialist equipment used in event coverage and video production, such as Tricasters
• Demonstrated ability to address operational/technical equipment problems
• Demonstrated ability to produce and direct sports coverage for broadcast
• Knowledge of the rules and regulations of college sports
• Skill in visualizing and shooting concepts effectively
• Knowledge of cinematography principles, digital media formats and streaming methods
• Skill in production and editing
• Knowledge of broadcast rules, regulations and guidelines
• Knowledge of broadcasting production techniques and standards
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing
Bachelor’s degree in related area AND two years’ experience in related field; OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
This nine-month renewable appointment holds the faculty rank of Lecturer.
Materials must include: 1) cover letter, 2) a resume, 3) web-based samples of work created or produced, and 4) names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references. Application deadline is April 21, 2017, or every two week thereafter until the position is filled.
Submit materials via email to:
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
555 N. Central Avenue, Suite 302
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. More detailed information can be found at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.