Knight Foundation is seeking a creative change-maker to join the Journalism program team. We want to hear from candidates with traditional or non-traditional journalism and media backgrounds who are interested in helping lead our efforts to advance journalism excellence and transform local news organizations to meet the demands of the digital age.
Reporting to the vice president for journalism and working with a team, the director will collaborate to identify, select and manage grant portfolios that have the potential to transform the industry by exploring new forms of storytelling, developing innovative news and information tools, and advancing ways for journalists to engage and inform communities.
• Identify and invest in entrepreneurial leaders in journalism, across many platforms.
• Identify and invest in innovative ideas that will lead to better informed communities.
• Work with the team to develop field-advancing grant strategies and a diverse network of relationships to assist us with driving change and adoption of digital technology.
• Contribute thought leadership.
• Work with Knight’s Learning and Impact team to measure the impact of initiatives, inform strategy and improve programmatic work.
• Represent Knight Foundation in local and national forums.
• Profound commitment to First Amendment principles and journalism excellence.
• Openness to ideas.
• Ability to identify talent.
• Appreciation of local news reporting.
• Ability to work collaboratively to develop creative solutions.
• Entrepreneurial drive, curiosity and networking savvy.
Knight Foundation continues the work of John S. and James L. Knight, two brothers who founded a company that became one of the dominant newspaper chains in the United States. While that firm no longer exists, the brothers’ principles still guide their independent foundation. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where the brothers once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.
• Leadership in journalism organizations.
• Leadership of digital news initiatives.
• Demonstrated track record of innovation.
• Experience with local news reporting.
• Experience with digital media or video.
The essential elements for this work are: belief in a vision, courage to push for change, willingness to explore new ideas, expertise to accomplish the work and tenacity to reach the desired results. If you share this passion, we want to hear from you. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it.
Knight Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
No telephone calls, please.