n fast-paced, highly collaborative environment, performs a wide variety of research, writing and editing assignments, including commentaries, speeches, in-depth and investigative articles, policy reports, press releases, blog posts and other web copy, brochures, and video scripts.
• Edits and rewrites copy from various SPLC writers, researchers, analysts, lawyers and paralegals.
• Writes and edits for a wide variety of print and online organizational publications.
• Conducts research social justice topics.
• Provides editorial direction and support for programmatic departments as needed.
• Writes and edits in the voice of the organization.
• Works across departments to bring clear messaging and institutional voice to all written communications.
• Performs copyediting and proofing for a variety of publications.
Apply on-line at:
Education and work-related experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or English.
• At least seven years of experience, including significant editing experience, preferably in a journalistic environment.
• Strong knowledge of public policy, politics and law.
• Experience in a nonprofit, social justice group a plus.
Knowledge, skills, ability:
Apply on-line at:
• Must be a highly skilled, top-notch wordsmith able to turn pedestrian copy into clear, concise, compelling prose for a general audience.
• Must be fast, nimble writer with strong reporting skills, able to quickly grasp and interpret complex public policy and legal information.
• Must be familiar with and committed to social justice issues.
• Must be able to communicate well with writers and thrive in collaborative environment.
• Must be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines, with minimal oversight.
• Must be team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ideas, able to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment.
• Must take direction well but be self-motivated with ability to work independently.
• Ability to work under deadline pressure.