The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking an enthusiastic and enterprising Program Manager to lead the organization’s training programs to help journalists excel in the digital ecosystem and develop their skills at obtaining, analyzing and using data to cover education.
The program manager should share EWA’s commitment to the value of independent professional journalism and embrace its mission to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public.
Located in Washington, D.C., EWA offers a rewarding work environment and a team of talented colleagues who serve a thriving national community of writers, editors and others committed to top-notch education coverage. The program manager will be based in D.C.
- Lead EWA training to build members’ data journalism skills, including its intensive Diving Into Data Workshops and sessions at EWA’s annual conference.
- Conceptualize and produce in-person and online training opportunities throughout the year on digital tools and strategies.
- Lead content creation for training webinars to enhance reporters’ knowledge of timely education topics and build their skills to effectively cover them.
- Pilot EWA initiative to produce practical how-to videos that help journalists hone their data and digital journalism skills.
- Provide timely, customized reporting assistance to individual journalists via private interactions or participation in EWA’s listservs.
- Build and maintain relationships with programming partners and supporters to advance EWA’s mission.
- Other duties as needs arise.
- Creative problem-solving: Ability to think critically and creatively, anticipating future developments and planning accordingly; proactively identify issues and generate strategies.
- Project management: Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and balance competing priorities; experience in planning multi-step projects and reaching milestones on time without sacrificing accuracy and quality.
- Communication: Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaboration: Comfort working independently, as well as part of a team; proactively collaborate with EWA staff, members, and partners on relevant projects.
- Digital knowledge: Awareness of tools, trends, and techniques in digital journalism and ability to develop training programs in digital communications and reporting.
- Data savvy: Awareness of tools, techniques, and trends in data journalism and ability to develop training programs in data analysis and data-informed education reporting.
- Instructional know-how: Ability to construct high-impact learning opportunities on education and its coverage.
- Education journalism expertise: Awareness of critical education issues and their coverage, as well as key players in the field.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated experience in journalism or communications
- Understanding of techniques and trends in digital and data journalism
- Background or passion for K-12 education, higher education, and/or journalism
- Nonprofit experience preferred, but not required
In addition to our fun and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time, full-year staff:
- Competitive Salary & Growth Potential
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Metro accessible office
- Health/Vision/Dental Coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
The program manager should share EWA’s enthusiasm for the opportunities offered to the profession by advances in digital communications and data analysis. Current and former journalists with a solid grounding in harnessing data and digital tools to drive coverage are especially encouraged to apply. Experience covering education is preferred and knowledge of education data sets is a plus. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and performance.
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to email@example.com. Be sure to include your salary expectations. This is not a telecommuting position. No phone calls, please.
EWA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer.