Atlas Obscura is looking for an exceptional Deputy Editor to help lead our editorial team and guide our daily coverage online. You’ll work with a team of staff writers, editors, and contributors to create original content about history, science, geography, exploration—any subject that’s filled with wonder and surprise. You’ll assign and edit articles, but also collaborate on video series concepts, podcasts, events, and more. This role reports directly to the editor-in-chief, and will be based out of our offices in Brooklyn, NY.
- Brainstorming, assigning, and commissioning stories that distinguish Atlas Obscura’s coverage.
- Editing work from both staff and freelance contributors.
- Helping to manage workflow and maintain high editorial standards across the site.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in digital journalism.
- Outstanding editing skills, with the ability to strengthen the work of both experienced reporters and emerging contributors.
- Experience planning and executing editorial calendars.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- A passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission and a deep curiosity about the world.
You'll Get Noticed If
- You’re an idea-generating machine.
- You have a deep bench of talented writers in your contacts list.
- You have experience helping to lead teams, and a demonstrated willingness to pitch in and collaborate across departments.
- You have a sense of humor and work well with others.
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. To apply, please email a résumé, cover letter, and links to three work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word “Deputy” at the beginning of your subject line. For samples of editing work, please include a short description of why you're particularly proud of your involvement in the piece.