SUMMARY OF POSITION
Destination Cleveland is looking for a passionate, self-motivated writer to join our marketing team as a content specialist. This person would be responsible for creating compelling content that reinforces the Cleveland brand, as well as proofreading, editing and organizing content for the website, e-newsletters, collateral and additional mediums as marketing initiatives warrant. This person should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment focusing on leisure and meetings travel promotion for Cleveland.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist content editor in efforts to research, plan, structure, write and manage content for collateral (brochures, etc.), website, e-newsletters, and other digital platforms.
- Ensure ThisisCleveland.com content is up-to-date on a daily basis and relevant to current events in the Cleveland area.
- Develop content and help to optimize the group tour newsletter, TourCLE. Assist with writing and editing all other organizational newsletters.
- Assist in editing and proofreading content written for publishing, ensuring appropriate tone and applying AP standards.
- Assist with developing editorial calendar for leisure and meetings/conventions content and help with posting.
- In conjunction with the content editor, work closely with freelancers and contributors to maintain deadlines and gather and organize submissions.
- Conduct and assist with interviews and transcriptions.
- Assist with ensuring that website content is up to SEO standards.
- Assist in developing content-related support for integrated marketing campaigns
- Assist in managing the content meetings but creating agendas, keeping track of follow-ups and helping to ensure they are implemented.
- With guidance from the content editor, lead performance metrics reporting.
- Assist in online coverage of major Destination Cleveland or travel/tourism events to ensure high-quality, consistent community coverage online.
- Develop and execute audio and visual content marketing projects (i.e., podcasts, videos, or new concepts).
- Assist content editor in preparing strategic presentations.
- Assist the VP of marketing with coordinating and preparing meetings with various departments, agencies and vendors.
- Assist with PR/communications press trips.
- Attend local conventions, conferences, and networking events.
- Assist with Destination Cleveland special events, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•Proficiency in AP style
•Writing/editing for SEO
•Familiarity with Content Management Systems
•Ability to use data to inform decisions
•Knowledge of the internet and social networking
•Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Internet
•Exceptional written, verbal and interviewing skills
•Ability to proofread and edit written content quickly
•Superior communicator and creative thinker
•Utilize strong news judgment, journalistic integrity and understanding of audience needs and expectations
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
•BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field (or equivalent work experience)
•3-5 years’ professional experience in a content marketing, copywriting or journalism capacity
•Superior organizational skills and ability to prioritize and re-prioritize
•3-4 writing samples, preferably in consumer-style travel, food, music or marketing writing
•Self-motivated and takes assignments readily
•Offers unsolicited suggestions and ideas
•Outstanding organizational skills and strong attention to detail
•Supportive and collaborative team member
•Ability to work independently
•Ability to think critically and creatively solve problems or challenges
•Ability to influence without authority
•Familiarity with the Cleveland area and current events
•Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
•Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•Viewing computer monitors
•Standing for community functions, presentations, etc.
•Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
Office environment; moderate noise.