Position: Communications Post-Graduate Internship
Reports to: Executive Director Basic Function: The communications intern will assist in the implementation of an overall communications and marketing strategy for the organization and specific programs.
1. Develop and implement marketing plans for SPJ’s programs and services, including but not limited to its annual conference, awards programs and training events. Plans should take into account marketing before, during and after each program.
2. Manage SPJ’s social media channels, including daily engagement with respective communities.
3. Create and distribute SPJ’s weekly e-newsletter, SPJ Leads, and monthly e-newsletters to members and supporters.
4. Help keep SPJ board and staff current on news related to the Society’s missions and goals.
5. Work with SPJ’s board and staff, including the communications strategist, to create and distribute Society news releases and announcements.
6. Work with SPJ’s communications strategist to plan, create and distribute marketing videos and graphics via SPJ’s various communications channels.
7. Assist other staff members in promoting SPJ programs and services.
8. Manage on-site social media coverage of SPJ’s events, including but not limited to the annual Excellence in Journalism national conference and the Ted Scripps Leadership Institute.
9. Update, maintain and create SPJ’s current media lists using Meltwater software.
10. In the absence of the communications strategist, manage media inquiries, organize interviews and appearances by SPJ leaders, the executive director and other SPJ experts when necessary.
11. Assist in coding and posting content to SPJ.org.
12. Provide editorial content for all of SPJ’s communications vehicles, including its website, Quill magazine and other materials as necessary.
13. Help the associate executive director and communications strategist with marketing of Sigma Delta Chi Foundation efforts.
14. Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
1. Must be a recent college graduate, with a degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or related field.
2. Writing and/or reporting experience required. Knowledge of AP Style preferred.
3. Video editing skills and experience preferred.
4. Ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized and meet deadlines required.
5. Decision-making, problem-solving, and research skills are necessary.
6. Should be able to express ideas and opinions clearly and concisely.
7. Should be outgoing and self-confident with a willingness to take initiative and work cooperatively with others.
8. Proficient computer skills with an understanding of how a Web site works. Knowledge of HTML coding preferred.
9. Familiarity with Google AdWords a plus.
10. Strong work ethic and a positive attitude are a must.
1. This is a paid, two-year post-graduate internship. Benefits are available.
2. Intern must work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
3. Some travel is required.
4. Must exhibit professionalism in the office and at all outside events where SPJ is represented.
5. Must be able to work with a diverse staff and be versatile at all times.