The Office of Communications plays a central role in the work of the Open Society Foundations by coordinating and strengthening the public presence of the global network and by helping to advance relevant issues. Communications works to raise the Foundations’ public profile by promoting the network’s many noteworthy achievements as well as responding to attacks from opponents of open society around the world. The department employs media outreach, publications, and the web to assist dozens of Open Society foundations and programs in their communications efforts.
The Communications Officer is part of a tightly-knit, collaborative and fast-paced team. The Communications Officer is responsible for drafting and editing all forms of content from blogs to op-eds, identifying and pitching stories, and quickly turning around media inquiries. Candidate should have a journalism background, expertise on our issues and solid judgment on how to highlight them through different mediums.
Typical duties and responsibilities include the following:
- draft OpEds, press releases, blogs, and media advisories
- successfully pitch stories in high profile media and promote content in social media
- build and maintain strong media relationships across cultures and geographies
- promote and manage media for director-level staff
- in consultation with the CCO of Communications, develop and disseminate an overall communications strategies as assigned as well as individual issue strategies and key messages for advancing our work in prioritized areas. This plan should outline goals, campaigns and projects plus include defined audiences and success criteria, outreach plan, an editorial calendar for blogs/reports/multimedia pieces, story ideas/pitches both for print and social media
- manage the production and deployment of reports (web or print) for an Open Society issue and see it through from beginning to end – taking responsibility for media promotion
- co-develop and conduct Communications trainings for program staff and grantees
- may provide coaching to senior leaders on media engagement
- bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study or equivalent experience/education; graduate degree preferred
- 8 -10 years of progressively responsible experience in a journalism/communications role
- demonstrated practical experience in press outreach and digital communications; strong understanding of social media
- background in global issues and human rights
- substantial knowledge of organizational and project management
- ability to build and maintain strong, trusting internal relationships within team and across programs, departmental units, and levels
- excellent English language skills, additional languages a plus
- ability to undertake frequent travel
Application Instructions:Please apply via our website - https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/jobs/jr-0000459/communications-officer
Application deadline: January 31, 2017
***Please upload a cover letter, resume, and short published article when submitting an application.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.