Under general supervision, works with programmatic staff to develop and implement comprehensive communications strategies to maximize the SPLC’s public exposure and gain public and political support for its mission and policy goals. The Communications Associate is responsible for a wide array of communications activities, including recognizing and maximizing opportunities in the news cycle, and must be able to juggle multiple assignments and collaborate effectively with staffers at all levels in a fast-paced environment.
Primary Job Functions:
• Obtain media coverage of the SPLC and its program activities. This includes aggressive pitching of stories and op-eds to reporters; planning and organizing press conferences, podcasts and other events; distributing press releases and other materials; fielding media requests on a daily basis; booking SPLC experts on radio and TV talk shows; and taking advantage of opportunities in the news cycle.
• Develop and implement comprehensive media strategies designed to build public and political
support for SPLC’s mission and programmatic goals.
• Write and edit press releases and advisories, talking points, op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets,
and other materials.
• Build and cultivate relationships with key reporters, editorial writers, columnists, producers, and news and talk show hosts.
• Assist with message development for SPLC’s issues and activities.
• Manage, expand and maintain database of media contacts.
• Monitor, analyze and report results and outcomes of department’s efforts.